Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Define Success? (a long post:)

As parents, I think it's our goal to see our children succeed.
Each of us measures success in different ways
& each has differents "areas" in our lives we wish to see success.
When one of these areas isn't looking so great,
and we realize our child is the one suffering,
we blame ourselves.
We blame ourselves because we either don't know what to do,
or, we've done all we can & there's nothing more.
I say all this because of Ashlyn's 3rd-grade year.
Up until now, she's been a straight A student.
As a 3rd-grader things have been really tough
& unfortunately, it's coupled with a school-system
that teaches based on FCAT testing,
rather then teaching them to learn.
So, as an adult, how would you answer this question:

"How do you define success and what part does money play in your definition?"

This is an ESSAY question my 3rd-grader had to answer!!
She's in the 3rd grade & yet these are the types of questions they base
whether or not she will pass or fail 3rd grade!!

So, I sit here staring at a paper that has a "D" on it.
Every afternoon we spend 2-hours doing homework.
& yet, every week she brings home papers with grades similar to this,
though this is only one of maybe 2 or 3 "D's" she's brought home.
But, as a parent, what more can I do?
I'm completely frustrated!!

Onto a less serious note:
I've been up to my eyeballs in an album.
Last August I was hired to make a Sr. album
& the lady is just now getting me 15 ziploc bags of pictures!!
So, I've been working on getting this album completed,
as quickly as I can.
I did manage to set it aside last night,
to do the 2 Sketches 4 U - Kazan 18 sketch.
Before I show you the card,
I do have one thing to clarify:
In a previous post,
I mentioned I wouldn't be trying out for their Spring DT.
That decision was made for personal reasons,
that have since been resolved.
So, I'm going ahead & letting it be known,
that I AM going to try out.
Not that anyone cares what I'm doing,
I'm just not one to lie & thought I should clarify.
Okay, am I the only one that had difficulty w/this sketch:)
Whew....this was a toughy for me,
but here it is.

Still using some new Making Memories Chloe's Closet
I think I need more of this yummy stuff!!
I also took a picture of my 3 Vday pails completed.
These will be given to teachers for Vday,
filled with chocolate of course.
I almost bought it yesterday,
but I know better:)

So, sorry for the long post,
but technically, it is my blog:)
But w/that, I bid you a very blessed Wednesday afternoon!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the card you made - and really you thought the sketch was hard? You did an awesome job on it :)..also I have the Paper Crafts Magazine with your button tree on my desk - such gorgeous inspiration
:)
Hugs
Kazan

Tonya said...

Awesome card! And on a side note....Good luck with your personal life...I hope everything works out with your young daughter.

Lea L. said...

That card is fabulous...and those little buckets are so cute! Great job with the sketch!

~Lea

cnelson said...

fabulous card! even if you thought the sketch was hard you did it brilliantly. loooooove your v-day pails! good luck with the DT tryout!

Kristen Swain said...

love your pails and your card! your work is devine!! glad to hear you are going to try out for the 2sketch team!
I feel for you with the testing. I had a lot of the same issues with our former school and was glad to move away from a school that was only teaching what was going to be on the state tests. My youngest was also bringing home some low test scores ( but making honor roll?) so I had a conference and found out it was basically a learning type testing and it was accepted that the kids wouldn't do all that well. why do it on tests tho- I have no idea. good luck with figuring things out!
kris

Unknown said...

Beautiful card ~ fabulous take on Kazan's sketch!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card! I'm so glad to hear your going to try out for the DT, you are so talented! Good luck!

papertrails leaver said...

I love your card and those little red buckets are too cute!

Liz Weber said...

Hi Dawne - I so love your card - loving the MM paper - I MUST get some, it's so pretty.

I love those pails you decorated - they are devine, I just may "steal" that idea, thanks for the inspiration Dawne!

**Nancy** said...

Beautiful card!!! I love those pals!!! And I know all to well about FCAT!! It's very frustrating! And the pressure they put on these kids in so unfair!! I wish your daughter the best of luck!!

Thanks for visiting!!

Free Web Hit Counter